Monday, February 1, 2010

Out for a Sunday Drive

A couple weeks ago, I got the skis installed on my plane and, since, have been learning to pick landing spots. As many tell me, skis are easy to fly but also extremely easy to get stuck. As a result, I carry a shovel, snow shoes, rope, ice anchors, a come-along, and enough warm clothes/sleeping bag to spend a night stuck somewhere, just in case.

Yesterday, I left Lake Hood and flew north to Yensus Lake and Donkey Creek Lake to check on cabins that a friend owns.


View Sunday Fly in a larger map

After over-flying both lakes, I spent some time looking for lakes to practice landings. As I was looking around the mouth of the Susitna River, I heard three friends departing Lake Hood. I met up with them and we flew north to visit a cabin. I followed Kent and Paul, drug the strip twice to get a feel for the snow, and came in and landed. Heather landed a few minutes later. We spent some time at the cabin and got ready to go. As usual, I had a small mechanical issue (solenoid) that delayed my departure. After hand-propping the plane, the issue resolved itself and I departed and headed back to Lake Hood.

Lake Hood HDR

Ski Flying HDR

Paul's Plane
Week 11 - 52 Weeks - Alaskan Style

Kent
Ski Flying

Heather and Coal enjoying the snow


I'm pretty lucky to have friends who are willing to help out and let me tag along.

1 comment:

Shiway (and sometimes Dave) said...

nice photos! especially the one with the clouds & airplane.